- 1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 (26.5 ounce) can spaghetti sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Scoop out and discard zucchini seeds, leaving the hollowed-out shells. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. add ground beef, Italian seasoning, basil and 1/2 the red sauce.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the meat mixture, and place them into a baking dish. Allow sauce to drip down the sides of the zucchini boats. Cover dish with tinfoil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the zucchini are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove foil then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the zucchini, and return to oven until the cheese melts, about 5 more minutes. Heat the remaining spaghetti sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat while the zucchini boats are cooking. Serve the zucchini boats with the additional sauce on the side.